Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Chef





Considering I download more albums in a week than I buy in a year it's safe to say that when I do buy an album it's a damn good one. Such is the case with the new Raekwon album Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. II.

Dropping a sequel album 14 years after the original is setting yourself up for failure as most rappers' skills have either diminished or their sound has gone in a completely different direction in an attempt to stay relevant amid the ever-changing trends. Rae manages to avoid both of these, constructing an album that showcases his vivid storytelling and has that mid-90's Wu-Tang vibe and sound, due in large part to superb production from the likes of J Dilla, Pete Rock, Dr. Dre and RZA. Ghostface shows up to lend a hand on 7 of the tracks, outshining Rae on several of them.

As a longtime fan of Raekwon this album is exactly what I wanted to hear (after Immobilarity and The Lex Diamond Story proved disappointing) and for that I had to show my appreciation by purchasing the album.


By JaffeJu


No comments:

Post a Comment